There are some characteristics that all good plumbers must possess. At Benicia Plumbing, we are proud of our plumbers and believe that they are some of the finest in the industry. They are truly passionate about their trade and exhibit it every day by providing top-notch customer service and using their skills and training to do a quality job.
Here are the top 10 qualities an outstanding plumber must have:
- Certification: A state license is a required credential for plumbing professionals. Plumbers are technically skilled individuals with expert knowledge of pipe systems, sewage removal and septic tanks. Though requirements vary between states, plumbers are generally expected to possess substantial field experience and pass state-approved exams to obtain certification or licensure. Most train through apprenticeship programs that offer classroom instruction and on-the-job learning, although a few attend community colleges or vocational schools. Applicants to these programs need a high school diploma or the equivalent. They are required to meet a specific a series of requirand pass some tests before they can get hold of a license. This would ensure they are skilled and knowledgeable enough to deal with plumbing problems.
- Experience: The most important credential for a plumber is experience, achieved through several years of an apprenticeship, and possibly a trade school or a vocational program, that has been accredited by a national trade union.
- Being mechanically inclined: Plumbers not only work with their analytical mind to understand problems and find out solutions, but also must understand the mechanics of the system that they’re troubleshooting. Understanding the basic mechanics of what makes the water valve work, what type of tubing is most suitable for certain applications, and the like are some of many aspects of mechanics and technical concepts that plumbers need to know.
- Safety first: Good plumbers always prioritize safety. Plumbing problems will always be handled adroitly with good plumbers that use safe practices, and also follow safety procedures to the letter.
- Being in good shape: Importantly, a plumber is in good shape. They often find themselves in situations that they must exert themselves physically. Whether it’s working atop a roof, crouching uncomfortably under a sink, or any other uncomfortable spaces.
- Punctuality: Good plumbers are always punctual. Being on time is associated with their work attitude and affects the quality of customer service.
- Coordination skills: Quite often, plumbers will work in very small spaces, and may be required to use many pieces of equipment in any one session, while negotiating their way in unfamiliar and cramped spaces.
- Problem-solving skills: Having good problem-solving skills is important in any trades, especially plumbing. They need to be able to assess the situation and evaluate options quickly, and determine the best course of action accurately.
- Communication skills: Plumbers need to not just listen attentively to understand the problem and make the customer feel comfortable with their abilities, but must be able to communicate the nature of the problem and its recommended options.
- Dedication: You can always count on a dedicated plumber who will exhibit the other nine qualities listed above. They are dedicated to the customers and the quality of their work and those are the kind of people we covet here at Benicia Plumbing.
Sources: Monster.com and Manpower