You’d never know but modern plumbing is an interesting story with a fascinating history. From the beginning, plumbing has always been a feature of our modern lives that are always looking to get improved. From indoor single handle faucet to sprinkler systems, we can’t help but list out some of the more interesting facts about the plumbing industry.
Here is our list of fun and intriguing facts about plumbing:
- Standardized plumbing can be traced back to around 3,000 B.C. when the Indus River Valley civilization used earthen plumbing pipes to provide transportable water and drain wastes.
- If you have a leaky faucet that drips twice per minute, you’ll waste over a gallon of water in a week.
- The flushing toilet was invented by John Harrington in 1596, which is where we get the nickname “the John.” We also call the toilet “the crapper” because of Thomas Crapper, who widely increased the popularity of it.
- The word “plumber” comes from the Latin word “plumbum,” which means “lead.”
- The first fire sprinkler system was invented by a British man named Sir William Congreve. He perforated pipes along the ceiling and installed a valve outside the building that could be opened to send water through them.
- Manhole covers are circular because if they’re turned sideways, they can’t fall through their own opening.
- Albert Einstein was made an honorary member of the Plumbers and the Steamfitters Union after he had announced that he would be a plumber if he had to live his life all over again.
- There are two different types of plungers – a toilet plunger and a sink/shower plunger. Toilet plungers narrow at the bottom to fit into the toilet while sink/shower plungers are flat.
- In 1939, Al Moen invented the single-handle faucet that can control hot and cold water in just one turn.
- Insulating your home’s pipes can reduce the amount of heat lost as your water travels from your heater to your faucet. You’ll run less water waiting for it to warm up and save money on your utility bills.
- The floating mechanism in your toilet’s water tank is called a ballcock and it controls the flow of water.
About Benicia Plumbing
At Benicia Plumbing, we are a solutions-based company, which means that every customer will always receive a comprehensive diagnosis to resolve their plumbing issues promptly and seamlessly. Your Benicia Plumbing technician will always provide you with a complete, detailed estimate before the work begins and guarantee all parts and workmanship for a full year. And finally, if there are any malfunctions within this period of time, Benicia Plumbing will always correct it promptly at no charge and fully comply with local city and state building codes.
Sources: Wikipedia and Reuters